Wednesday, September 9, 2009

What's in a Name?

We've chosen a name for our baby! I'm so excited to start sharing it with our family and friends. People have always told me you have to wait and meet your baby before naming it, but I am thinking that the less I have to think about after giving birth is probably for the best! It took us so long to decide on two names that we agreed on that I am glad to have the decision made!
First Name: Olivia
The girl's name Olivia is pronounced oh-LIV-ee-ah. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "olive tree". Coined by Shakespeare as the name of a much-wooed aristocrat in his play "Twelfth Night" (1599). He may have derived the name from the olive plant, or as a feminine form of Oliver. Biblical: the olive tree is a symbol of fruitfulness, beauty, and dignity. Today, "extending an olive branch" traditionally signifies an offer of peace.
Middle Name: Grace
The girl's name Grace is pronounced grayce. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "favor; blessing". A virtue name referring to God's grace.
Hope you all like it! We sure do!

5 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

That's very cute. :)


We have a family in our ward who has six children (all under age 11), and I love their names: Chloe, Emma, Jane, Oliver, Grace, and Elliot. Cute huh?

I like Olivia (and Grace) a lot. I have a very cute little cousin named Olivia. She's a livewire. :D


My word verification word is "wheani"LOL.

Jayelle said...

Thanks! Glad you like it.

Yes, we found out, after we chose it, that Olivia is quite popular, but that doesn't really bother me. When I was growing up, no one knew how to pronounce my first OR last name(I do love my name, but there are some days...LOL), so popular and more common names are all we really considered.

Wheani...hahaha...

Aubrey said...

I love it!! A blessing of peace! So beautiful!

Lindsay Ann Rasmussen said...

My neices name is Olivia. Such a cute name!! I had a name picked out for Hailey before we had her, and it changed to Hailey after we had her. So make sure you dont write her name on anything until shes born! Just in case! haha My sis in law was preg and thought it was a boy and turned out it was a girl! good luck with everything!

Jayelle said...

I feel the same way Jamie! Luckily, no one in my extended family snatched this one up! And my claim has been made. LOL