Sunday, May 23, 2010

Here

There's a place I'd been looking for
That took me in and out of buildings behind windows walls and doors.
And I thought I found it;
Couple times even settled down.
Then I'd hang around just long enough to find my way back out.
I know now
The place that I was trying to reach was you right here in front of me
And I wouldn't change a thing.
I'd walk right back through the rain.
Back to every broken heart on the day that it was breaking.
And I'd relive all the years and be thankful for the tears
I've cried with every stumbled step that led to you and got me
Here
It's amazing what I let my heart go through
To get me where it got me in this moment here with you.
And it passed me by
God knows how many times.
I was so caught up in holding what I never thought I'd find
I know now
There's a million roads I had to take to get me in your arms this way
And I wouldn't change a thing.
I'd walk right back through the rain.
Back to every broken heart on the day that it was breaking.
And I'd relive all the years and be thankful for the tears.
I've cried with every stumbled step that led to you and got me
Here
In a love I never thought I'd get to get to
Here
And if that's the road God made me take to be with you
Then I wouldn't change a thing.
I'd walk right back through the rain.
Back to every broken heart on the day that it was breaking.
And I'd relive all the years and be thankful for the tears
I've cried with every stumbled step that led to you, and got me
Here
My favorite Rascal Flatts song. Ryan and I started dating 4 years ago this week. He is my 'Here'. He saved me in so many ways. I was finally myself again after this gentleman came along. I am impatient with a little side of red-hot temper. But he continually forgives me. As I got to know him, the past faded quickly. I still hold on tightly to the lessons that I learned through those hard days, but he helped me to let go of all the other crappy stuff!
We got set up. His neighbor worked with my mom. One day my mom said, "There's this nice boy with a nice car and Patrice wants to give him your number." I said, "No."
So she did (I forgive her).
Ryan called me while I was visiting my family in Canada. I couldn't call him back until I was back in the states, because I didn't want to charge long distance to my grandparent's phone line and I couldn't use my cell internationally. Longest wait EVER. When you haven't been on a date in five months and a boy just calls you up out of the blue, you definitely want to call him back ASAP. LOL. I remember driving through Montana and seeing my cell service switch back from 'roaming', but I couldn't very well call him back with my dad and brother in the car with me! Awkward.
I called him that night when we got home. He was at work and called me back on his break. I vividly remember pacing around my bedroom, wearing a hole in the carpet while Ryan told me all about his car (at the time I had no idea what he was talking about) and we said we'd talk again later and set up a date. The next week, I came home one night from hair school to find out that Brian and some of his friends were going to the Joseph Smith movie in SLC, so I thought to myself, 'What a great opportunity to get to know this mysterious, Home Depot boy in a group setting." Brilliant plan, Jayelle. What was I thinking??? My brother's friends are crazy to begin with. Lovely, but crazy. They started jumping in the elevator and I was sure we were all going to die. I was so embarassed! So we dropped him off at the end of that 'date' and I told the others in the car that I was pretty sure I woudn't be getting a call back from that one. Oh well. There'd be someone else.
But he called. And we went on our first 'real' date a few days later. We went to Stoneground in Salt Lake for dinner. Italian food. And I ordered pasta. All over my face about two minutes into the meal. I was really on a roll. Then we went to see X-Men 3. I fell asleep. Charming, once again. And yet...Ryan proposed to me two months later on the beach at Bear Lake. Another story for another day. :)

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm looking forward for the next part of the story. Love you.

brittney said...

Oh, that is sooo sweet! I didn't know any of that;D Thanks for sharing

MBoehmer said...

So grateful we have memories,eh? You really should write a book, maybe you could call it "In Life You Can Undo,Redo, and Cut & Paste" or " It's all stored in my memory... but I can't remember which file name I gave it!" I have a few other ideas, but you get the gist. Love you sweetie