Monday, November 10, 2008

Home

I just have to say, this is the greatest time to live in St. George! To all of you who are not here right now, I am sorry! haha. The lack of leaves here(directly in relation to lack of trees) kind of makes you forget that the fall/winter season is upon us, but the cooler weather is definitely a welcome relief from the summer that just wouldn't stop simmering! I finally feel like we're starting to settle in here (after 2 years...about time, eh?) and that's a great feeling! Home is something I've never really thought about, probably since it's always just been where ever my family is at the time. Since being in St. George (farther away from my parents and brothers than I've ever been for any extended length of time) I've really had to look closely at what "home" is to me. It's been a long road...not easy...but I think that I'm beginning to feel as though home is just where I make it! I've tried to do a lot more cooking at home lately, in an effort to monitor a little better the things that we eat, and that's (surprisingly) made a huge difference in the way I view my 'home'. I love that instead of a place to eat, it is a place to gather, cook, chat, do dishes (ugh)! I've also tried really hard to look around me and realize just how blessed I am to have what I have. I have health, I have a loving extended family and I have an awesome husband who loves me, and as an added bonus, he agrees to eat the home cooking that was previously mentioned! So, to everyone who doesn't feel at 'home' make some potato casserole, do the dishes and count your blessings! Love you all, and Happy Monday!

3 comments:

Erin said...

So true! I feel the same way but I never verbalized it that way. Good thoughts. Sometimes I feel like I'm just playing house! Now that I think of it, I feel at home when I do what I've seen my mom do.

Aubrey said...

I really needed this thought. Thank you so much!

Makayla Steiner said...

This is so odd - I've had about four conversations with people over the last month or so about the idea of "home," and I always come to the same conclusion. I don't exactly understand what that is. We moved so much when I was little that the sense of what people who grew up in one house their entire lives understand. BUT, I do get the part about gathering and family and whatnot.

However, I'm pretty sure that when I get married, cooking is not going to do a thing for me. Which is why, of course, I plan to marry a chef (who is also a doctor...lol)