Saturday, March 21, 2009

Dah!

Walmart. A place where I spend most Saturday nights doing my grocery shopping for the week. I was driving down there on the freeway when I saw big puffs of smoke on the other side of the road a few miles down. Then came the firetrucks, then I saw the FIRE! I slowed down to take a look (typical Utahn, I know.) and it was a truck and a trailer full of ATVs with the trailer completely engulfed in flames. I hate stuff like this. It makes me sick for those poor people whose spring break has definitely taken a turn in the wrong direction. It just stinks. So the freeway was closed going the opposite direction. But no problems for me and after my moment of pity for the poor folks, I continued to my shopping adventure. I got done at the store and all checked out, groceries loaded and started for home. Taking a detour of course because the road was still closed. Then I remembered that we had used the back door today at work and I couldn't remember if I had locked it when I locked up tonight. Well, shoot. So I turned around and headed back to the salon (right next door to the Walmart). As I pulled into our parking lot, I noticed a couple of parked cars and a few people just hanging around the cars. Teenagers, I thought, just bored on a Saturday night. I went in, checked the door and came back out. That's when I noticed that the people looked more like a family, because there were some kids and a few adults. I got in the car and left, but as I was leaving I wondered if I should see if they needed some help or something. It seemed like a silly idea to me since there were so many businesses so close, and let's face it, if they were having car problems, I would not be any help. Plus it was pretty dark, and I was alone. So I left. I nearly turned around, but didn't. I wonder now if I should have. Maybe they could have used the cookies in my trunk that I had just bought (shouldn't have bought them anyway), or maybe they would just have liked to know that someone cared. Maybe, maybe not. Either way, my parents taught me that when you have a thought that prompts you to do good, you should do it. They didn't just teach me that, they showed me many, many times. And apparently it still hasn't sunk in. And for that, I say to myself "DAH!" And I will try better from now on.

2 comments:

Makayla Steiner said...

I do that too, more often that I wish to admit. Part of it is a sort of muddled selfishness, but sometimes it's an honest concern, because along with teaching me to follow promptings, my parents and leaders also taught me to be safe, and not to take chances, especially when I'm alone. It's kind of a tricky thing to balance, huh?

Jayelle said...

For sure. I'm sure that they were just waiting it out since the freeway was shut down. But it really is a hard call sometimes.